Moving can be stressful. Chances are you have to pack all your possessions and also remember to redirect your mail, switch doctors and much more. Here’s a handy checklist for meticulous moving…
- Compare removal costs – if you have some muscle to hand, you might benefit from the cheaper service of renting a van rather than paying a removal company
- Move furniture into your new place first, so that you’re not moving boxes around to find space
- Register your children (if applicable) into a school near your new home
- Put screws and bolts in sealable bags and tape them to the correct pieces of furniture
- Banks, phone suppliers, insurance companies, not to mention all your friends and family are just some of many that need to be contacted with your change of address. If you’re worried you’ll forget to alert anyone, it’s a great idea to pay £29.99 for the Post Redirection service from the Post Office
- There’s a chance that your new home is going to need a clean – perhaps because it’s a new build and is full of dust, or because previous owners have left a grubby fridge and cupboards. Be prepared to clean your new place before moving in so that you can get into all the nooks and crannies before unpacking
- Label boxes with the room they’re going in and what’s inside them
- Register to vote.
- Register with a new doctor and dentist.
- Find out who currently supplies the energy, broadband and home phone at the property.
- Compare energy providers, as you can often find cheaper deals away from the standard tariffs.
- Don’t forget to ask questions like where the main stopcock, gas and electricity meters are.
- Check which day the bins are collected.
*Hoozzi How To articles are intended as advice only. Please refer to your completion documents for specific information on lease and covenant restrictions and maintenance of your home.*