Creating this American classic is easier than you might think. With just a few choice ingredients and a preparation time of 5 minutes, you can have this winner of a dinner ready on the table in 20 minutes.
To serve 6, you will need:
- 500g beef mince (try turkey mince for a healthier option)
- 80g breadcrumbs (one slice of crumbled bread)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 burger baps
- Mature cheddar cheese slices
- 1 sliced red onion
- Sauce of choice
- Combine the mince, breadcrumbs, egg, mustard and Worcestershire sauce together in a large bowl, mix and add seasoning.
- Form the mix into 6 patties. Press your thumb into the top of burger – this will prevent the beef from balling up and help it stay flat.
- Preheat your pan with the oil over a medium heat.
- Fry the burgers for 10–15 minutes, flipping half way through the allotted time. Do not press down on the burgers with the spatula, as this makes them lose their juiciness.
- Place on a burger bap and add the cheese, onion and sauce of choice.
- Enjoy on their own, with salad or wedges.