Poaching eggs can be a tricky skill to crack, especially if you’re half asleep on a Sunday morning! Use our sneaky method to cheat your way to a luxury breakfast with minimal hassle.
To make 4 poached eggs, you’ll need:
- 4 eggs (obviously!)
- 1 avocado
- Crusty bread
- Radishes (optional)
- Pepper or chilli flakes to season
- Sunflower oil
- Cling film
- Push a piece of cling film (about the size of an A4 sheet of paper) into a small glass or ramekin so it forms a pocket, wrapping the film edges over the rim.
- Splash in a teaspoon of oil, wind it around to coat the film, then crack in an egg (make sure the film’s gripping the glass/ramekin, so your egg doesn’t plummet!)
- Peel out the film and twist the top a few times, so your egg’s encased in a little sack.
- Make cling film sacks for your other eggs using the method above.ââââ
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water and place it on the hob at a high heat.
- While you’re waiting for this to boil, cut your avocado in half and slice it inside it’s shell, ready for scooping.
- Slice some crusty bread, then very thinly slice some radishes (if you’re including these).
- Once the water’s boiled, bring it down to a light simmer (so bubbles are floating up, but the surface isn’t too choppy.
- Drop the bread into your toaster and place all the egg sacks into the water, sticking the tops of the cling film twists to the rim of the pan.
- After 3 to 4 minutes, the eggs should have a fairly firm white outside, but a nice runny yolk – fish them out carefully and unwrap the cling film sacks.
- Mash the avocado onto the toast and add a layer of radish slices. Place your eggs on top, then season with chilli flakes or pepper and enjoy!